Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Sermon for Quinquagesima Sunday 18.2.07

Quinquagesima Sunday 18.2.07 From the heart

Certain contradictions can occur in the course of our spiritual lives. A Catholic coming or going from Mass might get into an altercation in the car park even with other Catholics going to the same Mass!

It is funny in one way but also serious, as it just reminds us how hard it is to internalise our religious beliefs. We can do the externals fine but to get those same realities into our hearts and minds is another matter.

Love is the necessary quality, as explained in today’s epistle, 1 Corinthians 13.
St Paul says that even if he let his body be burnt in martyrdom it would count for nothing if he has not love.

There has to be that commitment from the heart, to make the external actions fully authentic.

Churchgoers in general, and Latin Mass Catholics in particular, are often accused of being pharisaical. They say we only care about the externals – the incense, the singing, the genuflections etc – and having got those things right we don’t care about charity or anything else for the rest of the week.

We would admit to lacking in love certainly, but would protest we are not entirely wrapped up in externals.

The externals are meant to help us with the internal things, not replace them

Our genuflections, bows, signs of the cross, devout posture, keeping silence in church – all these should help us to reach the reality they signify, a genuine reverence and love for God, extending to love of neighbour.

The more exactly we observe God’s will the better. So we do both. We do the ritual things and we love one another.

With regard to Lent the same issue can arise. I can give up sugar in my tea, or chocolate biscuits, or whatever else.

This kind of sacrifice is meant to help me to become a holier person not to replace the need for holiness.

It is no use if I give up sugar but keep the poison of uncharity in my heart. But giving up something I like should help me to find charity. I give up one short term delight for a much greater one (eternal life).

Penance will help me to grow in self-control and to remind me what I am really seeking in life. I am not here just for my own comfort and entertainment. I am here to do God’s will and I am not here for long. The Lenten penance reminds us of our true purpose and the shortness of our stay on earth. We hunger for the lasting delights of heaven.

What I want is mercy not sacrifice, Our Lord said. He meant He did not want fake sacifice replacing mercy. Really He wants both. The sacrifice (if properly understood) will help us achieve mercy – mercy towards others and mercy for own sins.

May the Lord help us, this Lent, to come closer to the full internal acceptance of all that we profess externally.