Monday, December 04, 2006

Sermon for First Sunday of Advent 3.12.06

1st Sunday of Advent 3.12.06 Being ready

While praying in front of the tabernacle once, it occurred to me that I felt at peace to be in the Lord’s presence, but that if I were to die suddenly I would be afraid to meet Him face to face.

How could this be: that I would be at the same time at ease and not at ease in His presence?

It must be that I am in some degree of union with God but not yet complete union. There is love but there is also fear. As St John says: Perfect love casts out fear. I do not yet have perfect love for God. So I ask Him to bring me to that state of perfect love for Him.

Supposing I am on an aeroplane and suddenly the plane starts plunging towards the sea below. What would I do? Make an act of contrition; ask the Lord to have mercy on my soul.

If I tell the Lord I am sorry when my plane is plunging into the sea, why not tell Him I am sorry now?

It is fear of punishment that makes me sorry in that case. We want to reach a state of perfect contrition whereby we are sorry anyway, and do not need an emergency to bring on an expression of that sorrow.

So we come to one of the main themes of Advent: that in this season we should seek such a degree of union with God that we are ready to meet Him at any time, whether He comes in the third watch or the second… later or sooner.

That we will be so much at ease in His presence we will not care if we are alive or dead – it is all the same to us, so long as we have Him.

There is always the temptation for us to put off complete repentance till ‘the last minute’.

There is the (false) assumption that we will get more enjoyment out of life if we break a few rules, that sin is ‘the only way to enjoy oneself’.

But the truth, waiting to be discovered, is that the greatest source of enjoyment in this life is to live as closely as possible to God Himself.

To live a life of grace is to experience the full joy of being like a bird in flight, every part of our being working as it should; for the first time a round peg in a round hole.

This explains why the saints were such happy people, when to the world, they appeared to suffer so much, and miss out on so much of earth’s pleasures – but they had the one thing that matters, the pearl of great price.

The epistle refers to living in the daylight and not being dissipated with strong drink.

People sometimes seek refuge in drink as a way of numbing their sense of reality.

But when we discover what Reality is we seek it. We should be wearing T-shirts with ‘I love Reality’ written on them, because the true reality is Union with God and all the joy that comes with that.

The solution is not drugging ourselves against reality but entering it more fully.

Thus we seek a fuller union with God
– a union that will mean both more perfect contrition, and a greater desire to do His will.
-A union that will mean we are ready to be with Him, either in this life or the next;
that will enable us to discern His presence in time of plenty or poverty, full stomach or empty.

To be with Him is everything; to be without Him is unbearable.

This is what we seek in Advent – we seek God and He will not be slow in making Himself known to us.